Last Updated on May 17, 2022 by Thalia
I’m here to simplify wellness.
I want to show you that your wellness journey can be realistic and affordable.
Apart from the 5 basic principles of wellness that can be practised in your own home, one of the most modern and affordable ways to help support your well-being is through the use of an app.
Here are 7 of the best wellness apps to help prioritise your well-being in 2022.
Disclaimer: Please note, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links then I will be rewarded at no extra cost to you. Any money earned through affiliates will be put towards running my blog and newsletter.
Table of Contents
- What are the best wellness apps?
- Why use health and wellness apps?
- Final thoughts
What are the best wellness apps?
There are thousands of health and wellness apps available to download and it can be hard to know which ones are the best.
And that’s where I come in!
To take the stress off you and make it easier for you to narrow your decision down.
Here are the 7 wellness apps that I believe to best:
1 | Fabulous
best wellness app for building healthy habits
Think of Fabulous as your own personal well-being coach. It uses behavioural science to help you make smart changes and build healthy habits that actually stick.
With this app, you will learn to create an effective daily routine as well as morning and evening rituals to give you structure and make it easier for you to reach your goals.
The app also helps to improve productivity, and mindfulness as well as strengthen the connection you have with yourself and others.
- A visual experience
- Consists of engaging graphics and animations to make habit-building fun
- A custom plan designed for you
- Set-up takes less than 5-mins to complete
- Push notifications each morning
- 7-day challenges available
- Quick guided meditation sessions
- Backed by science
- Cancel at any time in just a few clicks
- No contract or subscription fees
→ Price: Free one-week trial and then $2.99 per month billed yearly at $35.99. This is a fixed annual fee. There are no extra costs of contracts and you can stop at any time.
Fabulous is one of the best wellness apps there is for helping you create healthy routines and build lasting habits. I previously used this app to keep my well-being in check and I really did benefit from it.
The team at Fabulous also have a super valuable Instagram account which I follow for daily inspiration and motivation.
Start your membership with Fabulous today for free
2 | Headspace
best wellness app for mindfulness
Headspace is the popular go-to wellness app for mindful meditation.
The app provides guided meditations to help you release stress as well as workout videos, relaxing stories and music for better sleep.
Available whenever you need it, Headspace will help you create life-changing habits, support your mental health and find a healthier, happier you.
“Think of Headspace as your mind’s best friend.” (Headspace)
- Choose your narrator with a male or female voice
- Over 100 guided meditations to explore for sleep, move, focus and wake up
- Includes mood-boosting workout videos and inspiring stories
- Optional push notifications to help you stay on track
- Personalised recommendations based on your goals and interests
- Also compatible with Apple Watch
- Science-backed meditation and mindfulness tools
- Proven to reduce stress by 14% in just 10 days
- Try Headspace handsfree on Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa
- Love Headspace? Gift someone special a subscription
→ Price: starts with a free trial and then pay either monthly or annually
Monthly = 7-day free trial and then $12.99 per month
Annually (best offer) = 14 days free and then $5.83 per month
Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, Headspace makes meditation easy and fun. This is great if you’re someone like me, and find meditation hard to tap into. Headspace offers meditations for every experience level and lifestyle so you can build the habit in a way that works for you. I also love the fact that Headspace makes it easy for you to fit meditating into your schedule by offering as little as 3-mins meditation sessions.
Honestly, with Headspace, there’s no excuse to not put your well-being first.
Start your membership with Headspace today for free
3 | Calm
best wellness app for sleep and relaxation
The Calm app is designed to help you focus on your breath and relax your mind, body and soul.
By using Calm for just a few minutes each day, you can reduce stress, improve sleep, and increase your overall health and well-being.
Whether you’re new to meditation, a seasoned pro, or just need a mental break, Calm is the perfect tool for finding inner peace.
In fact, 84% of Calm users who used the app 5x a week saw an improvement in their mental health.
- The #1 wellness app for sleep, relaxation and meditation
- Guided meditations available from 3 to 25-mins
- A completely personalised experience fit with push notifications
- Sleep stories narrated by famous voices like Stephen Fry and Matthew McConaughey
- Music to help you focus, relax and sleep
- Available masterclasses taught by world-renowned experts
- Track your progress with daily streaks and mindful minutes
- Perfect for both adults as well as children
- Plans available for students and business
- Additional merch and gift subscriptions are available
→ Price: start with a 7-day free trial and then pay either monthly, annually or lifetime
Monthly = $12.99/month
Annually = $69.99
Lifetime = $399.99
Similar to Headspace, Calm is designed to support your well-being through mindfulness and daily meditation practices. However, the thing that sticks out to me the most about Calm, is the fact that you can listen to stories by famous voices. Such a motivating added touch! I mean, I don’t know about you, but I can listen to Matthew McConaughey’s voice all day long.
4 | Forest
best wellness app for focus
Forest is the best app for anyone looking to get things done and improve their wellness at the same time.
The app works by planting a virtual tree every time you start a timer. As you focus on your task and the timer runs down, your tree grows. Once the timer is up, you’ve successfully completed your task and can enjoy the satisfaction of a green, healthy tree!
Sounds super satisfying right?
Just think of it like a Pomodoro timer but extremely fun and engaging!
Plus if you can’t quite make it outside for a daily walk then you can bring nature inside.
- Stay healthy and mindful while working on your to-do list by planting virtual trees
- Visual and interactive interface
- Not your usual timer as it acts like a game
- Track your progress times with insightful analytics
- Multiple modes available to boost productivity
- If you use your phone or cancel out of the app, your tree will die
- Earn coins with each successful session which can be used to unlock different tree species
- Or use your coins to plant REAL trees on earth
- Chrome extension available
- Add as a widget to your home screen for quick access
→ Price: £3.39 to download from the app store, no subscription required
I LOVE how visual Forest is and allows you to grow cute trees while you stay focused. There’s something so soothing about watching your tree grow and start to bloom. So much so that you continue to focus and prevent your tree from wilting. Forest is hands down the best wellness app to beat procrastination! (and not to mention the most affordable one)
Download Forest today and beat procrastination in minutes
best wellness app for meditation
I know what you’re thinking… not another meditation app.
But trust me on this, Superhuman is different.
Because it was designed to change your life.
These guided meditations aren’t just for you to find calm and relax but are there to inspire and motivate you to become the person you want to be so you can live your best and most intentional life.
- Includes hundreds of guided meditations for nearly every moment of your day
- The app is modern, sleek and stylish
- Personalised to fit your needs
- Short or long meditations are available from seated to walking and everything in between
- Guided meditations are set to music
- “Favourite” your most loved meditations
- The library is updated daily
- Earn badges to unlock more content
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Love Superhuman? Buy merch to go with it
→ Price: 14-day risk-free trial and then monthly or annual subscription
Monthly = $29.99 per month
Annually (best offer) = save 6 months and pay $189.99
Unlike Headspace and Calm which encourage seated meditations to help you find a moment of mindfulness, Superhuman has a guided meditation for nearly every part of your day so you can even meditate while you grocery shop or cook. So if you like to keep moving while meditating, Superhuman is for you.
Start your membership with Superhuman today
best wellness app for your period
This list of the best wellness apps wouldn’t be complete without one that focuses on menstrual health. Because I believe having a stress-free period leads to a happier you.
With Flo, you can track your body signals to get the most precise predictions of when you’re ovulating and menstruating.
Using AI-based technology, Flo is able to monitor over 70 different signals, so you can feel confident about your cycle health.
Whether you’re trying to conceive or just want to be more mindful of your period, Flo is here to help.
- OB-GYN-recommended app
- Cycle and period tracker
- Ovulation calculator and pregnancy calendar
- Take a short quiz to get started
- Get accurate cycle predictions with up to 98% accuracy
- Log and track your body signals for a more mindful approach to your health
- Understand your cycle better and how it affects your body and well-being
- Read recommended articles and content straight from the app
- Retain privacy with a log-in before accessing the app
- Anonymously ask questions and discuss sensitive topics
→ Price: Flo is free to use but for extra features, you will need to upgrade to the Premium plan
Flo has allowed me to take back control of my period and feel more confident as I can now plan around my cycle. For the past year, I’ve been making a conscious effort to work with my cycle rather than against it and this app allows that process to be easier.
Get started with Flo today
best wellness app for self-care
The Intention app helps you to add self-care to your daily routine through simple and actionable exercises.
Not only does it include the ever-popular meditations but Intention also offers summaries from top mindset, productivity and self-growth books, short programmes on goal setting and habit building as well as guided journaling audios.
- Aesthetically pleasing interface
- Book summaries from top mindset, productivity and self-growth books
- Curated meditations
- Short videos on goal-setting, habit building and mindset
- Guided journaling audios
- Connect with other users in the community
- Monitor daily activity with Apple Health integration
- The creator of the app is the face of the app
- Free content available
→ Price: There is a free and paid version of the app available
This app was created by MichelleB, the popular YouTube creator and founder of the Life Map Collective.
I love Michelle’s ethos as she also promotes an anti-hustle way of life.
Although the app is fairly new, I don’t doubt that it will continue to grow and become one of the major players in the wellness app space.
Get started with Intention today
Why use health and wellness apps?
Thanks to modern-day living, daily distractions and busy schedules, it can sometimes be difficult to find the time to properly take care of your mental and physical well-being.
Or we just simply forget.
However, with the use of an app, you are sent daily notifications to help you build healthy habits that better support your wellness.
I always say we are more likely to do something if we are prompted into doing it.
And a wellness app does exactly that.
These handy tools are personalised to help you track progress and stay on top of your wellness goals so you can find it easier to practice wellness.
However, it’s also important to note that “wellness isn’t something that can be downloaded and consumed.” (New York Times)
A wellness app will only benefit you if you are motivated to change.
As I’ve said before, you need to be the driving force.
An app can only do so much by reminding you to get plenty of sleep, eat well or exercise, etc.
The rest has to come from you.
You need to set the intention yourself and take action.
So be your own motivation and get started on your wellness journey today.
Wellness apps are super effective when it comes to prioritising your mental health and overall well-being.
And they’re affordable AF.
There’s no need to spend thousands on going to a luxury wellness retreat as you can benefit from them in the comfort of your own home.
Plus they go everywhere with you so you can continue to support your wellness even from abroad.
So what are you waiting for?
Download one of these apps today and start prioritising your health and wellness.
I can’t wait to hear which app you go for and how it best supports and benefits your wellness.
Until next week,
♡ Thalia xx