Last Updated on April 12, 2023 by Thalia
The most effective way to build a wellness journey that works for you is through journal prompts.
Journaling can help you to get really clear on why you’re starting your journey in the first place as well as guide you to stay focused.
You’ll also find that by regularly reflecting on your wellness journey, you are more likely to stick to it as you can track wins and gain more confidence in the process.
Here are 17 reflective journal prompts to help support you both before and during your health and wellness journey.
Let’s talk about wellness
Rina Raphael declares in The Gospel of Wellness that, “Wellness is whatever you need for your health.”
Because there is no clear or agreed-upon definition of what “well” is, wellness can mean something different to many people.
It doesn’t always need to be about ditching the carbs, eating clean and doing yoga twice a day.
It might look like adopting a slower pace in life, setting boundaries and prioritising your mental health.
For this reason, everyone’s wellness journey will look different.
This is why it is essential that when you set out on your wellness journey, you are building it to suit you and only you. There’s no point copying someone else’s health routine because what works for them, might not necessarily work for you.
And that’s where using reflective journal prompts can really be of benefit. Because they can help you gain awareness of which areas in your life you’ve been neglecting and build a deeper understanding of your needs.
“Wellness is whatever you need for your health. There’s no one right path; wellness requires awareness of the uniqueness of your experience. It’s about what you, the individual, can do for yourself to get through this thing we call life.”Rina Raphael | The Gospel of Wellness
The benefits of using journal prompts
Before we look at the benefits of using journal prompts, let’s first recap what a journaling prompt is.
A journaling prompt is a question or topic that gives you an idea of what to journal about. Following a structured format in this way can help you to stay focused and gain clarity on what you are writing about.
These prompts can be as simple or thought-provoking as you need and can be anything from “What is currently going well?” to “What can you do to forgive yourself if you go off track?”
By using journal prompts, you can get past any initial journaling blocks and start exploring your thoughts and feelings more deeply.
This makes journaling prompts extremely beneficial to your wellness journey as you can use them to:
- Get started
- Fully understand your needs and get clear on areas you are neglecting
- Track your wellness progress
- Document your successes and failures
- Articulate your thoughts and feelings along the way
- Provide a space for you to brainstorm new ideas and goals
- Release any hidden emotions that might be holding you back
- Identify patterns in your behaviour
- Reflect on your day-to-day experiences
- Keep you motivated and focused on achieving your wellness goals
And it is super easy to get started on your journaling practice too!
All you need is a notebook and pen, some motivation and these journal prompts.
Journal prompts for your health and wellness journey
Getting started on anything new and staying consistent can sometimes feel daunting and overwhelming.
Especially if you lack an accountability partner.
But that’s where guided journal prompts come in. Journal prompts can help you gain clarity on any situation and better support you through it.
So the next time you are feeling overwhelmed by your wellness journey, or unsure of what to do next, pick up a journal and take a moment to reflect on these prompts and check in with your needs so you can continue moving forward.
You don’t need to answer all of these questions each day. Just choose 3-5 prompts from the list whenever you need to.
I also encourage you to bookmark this page so you can refer back to these wellness journal prompts whenever you need to.
17 prompts to help you get started on your wellness journey
- Why do you want to start your wellness journey?
- What will prioritising your health and wellness give you?
- How will reaching your wellness goals positively impact what’s important to you?
- What part(s) of your life are you currently neglecting and want to give more attention to?
- What change(s) do you want to see in your life?
- Why and how will these changes make you feel better?
- What change(s) are you willing to commit to?
- How much time are you willing to commit to your wellness routine each day/week/month?
- What is no longer adding value to your life?
- What things in your life can you let go of?
- What has worked out well in the past?
- How can you step outside of your comfort zone to grow?
- Who and how will you ask for support and accountability if you need it?
- How can you stay motivated when you’re trying something new?
- What can you do to forgive yourself if you go off track?
- How will you set boundaries around your health and wellness journey?
- How committed are you to starting this journey?
17 prompts to use during your wellness journey
- How is your health and wellness journey making you feel?
- What is currently going well?
- Write down 3 things you have accomplished this week
- What’s a choice you can make this week based on your needs?
- How will you celebrate yourself today?
- List down 3 things you currently love about yourself and this journey
- List 3 positive things about making healthy lifestyle changes
- Write about a challenging experience that helped you push through any barriers
- What goal or intention have you been most proud of achieving?
- How can you shift your mindset if something isn’t working for you?
- How are you putting yourself first without feeling guilty?
- What parts are still falling through the cracks that you wish weren’t?
- Describe a moment when you felt proud of yourself for pursuing these changes
- List down 3 ways you feel better about yourself
- What areas in your life still need more work?
- What can you do today that you didn’t think you could do a year ago?
- What have you learnt about yourself during this process?
Although a wellness journal is a great tool to provide you with accountability and structure, it is sometimes not always sustainable or affordable to keep up with a journal. Not to mention, a lot of wellness journals don’t have a wide variety of questions or prompts for you to answer.
But by having this list of journal prompts up your sleeve, you can reflect on a different question each day and explore another area of your life that you want to improve on.
So the next time you feel stuck with your health and wellness journey, use these prompts to guide you in the right direction. You’ll be surprised at how this can ultimately lead you to stay motivated and focused on achieving your wellness goals.
I encourage you to bookmark this page so you can refer back to these journal prompts whenever you need to.
And if you need any further guidance or advice please feel free to reach out to me via email.
My inbox is always open.
Until next week,
♡ Thalia xx
Leave a Reply