Morning routines don’t have to be scary, overwhelming or exhausting. Ignore those who say you need to wake up at 5.30 am every day to be successful.
Your morning routine can honestly be whatever you want it to be.
So give these nourishing morning routine ideas a go and fall in love with your mornings again.
Everyone knows a morning routine prepares you for a successful day.
They boost your energy levels, lower stress and increase your productivity.
But do you ever find that they slightly overwhelm or exhaust you a bit?
I had two pins go viral on Pinterest recently and they were both to do with evening routine rituals.
However, the morning routine pin, which was shared at the exact same time, failed to even make 100 impressions.
Now, this is either down to the vast amount of content on morning routines or, (for the sake of this post) morning routines scare people.
The perfect morning routine does not exist
There seems to be so much online noise surrounding morning routines.
Yes, some of it is good advice but other times it can make you feel overwhelmed.
All you ever see is “wake up at 5 am for a more productive day”, “start your day off right with a spin class” or “take ‘x‘ many supplements as soon as you wake up.”
I mean, personally, that’s enough to put me off.
Recently, I saw a post about what time you should wake up according to your chronotype. And all of the times suggested were before 7.30 am.
Even The Miracle Morning which is an extremely popular productivity book tells you to complete 6 habits to transform your life before 8 am.
But what these methods fail to grasp is that everyone is different.
Not everyone wants to wake up early or jump-start the day with a sweaty workout.
Since starting my own business, I’ve learnt I don’t want to wake up at 5.30 am. Or at 6 am or 7 am for that matter.
I’m happier ignoring my alarm and naturally opening my eyes at 8 am. And then mindfully reading in bed for 30 mins before I stretch.
Morning routines are made out to seem active, motivating and powerful.
But the truth is, they can be slow, mindful and calm.
There is no one size fits all. It’s what works for you.
Besides, wasn’t the whole point of starting your business so you could schedule your day how you want? So why do we get so influenced by what others are doing or telling us to do?
Repeat after me;
Morning routines come in all shapes and sizes.
It doesn’t always have to be about waking up at 6.30 am and going on a 5 km run.
So when building your morning routine, I recommend choosing ideas that you’ll enjoy and that suit your personality and lifestyle.
If you’re not a morning person then don’t force yourself to wake up earlier if there’s no need for it as it’ll just lead to burnout quicker.
You don’t have to do the same things every day. Shake things up a bit depending on your mood and to prevent you from getting bored.
60 nourishing morning routine ideas to fall back in love with your mornings
From singing in the shower to having a lie-in, here is an extensive list of morning routine ideas to try on energetic days, mindful days and slow days.
Choose 4-7 small and big rituals when building your routine and never feel overwhelmed or exhausted by your morning again!
Morning routine ideas for energetic days
- Make the bed and prepare your workspace
- Laugh for 3-mins and instantly feel more positive
- Spend time cooking a healthy breakfast
- Morning stretch
- Go screen-free all morning
- Listen to a feel-good music playlist
- Drink your coffee and just listen
- Raise your heart rate with a high-intensity workout
- Make a fruit smoothie inspired by what’s in season
- Prepare a healthy lunch and keep it in the fridge
- Sing in the shower
- Plan your day and prioritise tasks
- Gently tap your fingers all over your body
- Exfoliate your skin and moisturise
- Get dressed in an outfit that makes you feel good
- Have a cold shower
- Write down your goals for the day
- Run errands that you enjoy
- Do the plank for at least 30-seconds
- Wiggle your toes
Save these energy-boosting morning rituals on Pinterest!
Morning routine ideas for mindful days
- Meditate for 10-mins
- Sit in silence and do nothing
- Journal your feelings
- Practice gratitude
- Set a 2-mins timer when brushing your teeth
- Go barefoot outside and squeeze your toes
- Do yoga or pilates
- Listen to a motivating podcast
- Read a chapter from a self-help book
- Take multivitamins or probiotics for a healthy gut
- Repeat some affirmations
- Close your eyes and gently massage them
- Drink a glass of lemon water
- Make a green juice
- Go for a swim in the pool or the sea
- Write down your intentions for the day
- Try a new recipe for breakfast
- Drink tea instead of coffee
- Empty your inbox
Save these mindful morning rituals on Pinterest!
Morning routine ideas for slow days
- Don’t set an alarm and wake up naturally
- Open the curtains and a window for fresh air
- Do some simple neck and shoulder stretches
- Breakfast in bed
- Read a fiction book for 30-mins
- Connect with a friend via Facetime
- Watch an episode of your favourite/current TV show
- Go on a slow 40-min walk
- Tidy your room
- Listen to mellow acoustic music on Spotify
- Spray your room with aromatherapy oils
- Write a bucket list for the day
- Message a loved one to tell them why you are grateful for them
- Put on a soothing facemask
- Catch up on your favourite blog during your morning coffee
- Spend your morning at the spa recharging
- Sit in a coffee shop with a book and hot chocolate
- Slowly tidy the kitchen
- Bake something to enjoy later!
- Wake up and cuddle whoever is next to you
Save these calm morning rituals on Pinterest!
Before I go
Just like with all of my tips, I suggest testing out these morning routine ideas first before fully committing to them.
The trick is to find out what works for you.
Try putting together a morning routine tracker to help you track which morning routine ideas you enjoyed and which ones you would do again.
Rate each ritual out of 5 stars. Ask yourself, “how did this activity make me feel?.”
Or make things easier for yourself with The Wellness Planner, which includes a done-for-you morning routine builder so you can build a routine that works for you.
This 18-page planner provides you with the accountability and structure you need to schedule in time to take care of yourself so you can wave goodbye to burnout.
Use it to:
- Build a morning & evening routine that works for you
- Successfully build better habits
- Track sleep
- Map out your meals & exercise for a healthy week
- Reflect on the day and practice gratitude
- Plan out a week of self-care activities
- Journal your thoughts & feelings
- Plus much much more
Until next week,
♡ Thalia xx
*Please note, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links then I will be rewarded at no extra cost to you. Any money earned through affiliates will be put towards running my blog and newsletter.