Last Updated on May 17, 2022 by Thalia
Want to know the best thing about doing a social media detox?
They’re super fun.
I’m talking about recklessly climbing trees as a kid again kinda fun!
Need some inspiration? Here are 30 mindful activities to keep you busy whilst you unplug.
That’s one for every day of your detox.
The thought of doing a social media detox for 30-days sounds pretty daunting, right?
I bet you’re thinking “what will I do without being able to scroll my feed for a month?”
But the truth is, you don’t need to delete every single social app on your phone and forget what hashtags are.
Just because you’re doing a social media detox doesn’t mean you have to go completely cold turkey.
It’s about limiting your screen time day by day so you can create more balance and become mindful of how you spend your time on social media.
Think of a social media detox as more of a cleanse.
You’re getting rid of all the bad and toxic energy that comes with scrolling through influencer posts and “that girl” based reels.
You choose when to disconnect and you decide what content you choose to follow and engage with.
Oh and the best thing about “cleansing” from social media, besides the numerous benefits it has on our mental health and digital well-being…
It can actually be really fun!
And an excuse to indulge in a little self-care.
Benefits of doing a social media detox
30 mindful activities to enjoy during a social media detox
If you’re a 90s kid like me, you’ll know that there are tonnes of activities you can do that don’t require a mobile phone or even a screen.
I mean, can you remember what we used to do pre the internet and social media?
Let me jog your memory…
We climbed trees, made cootie catchers, took part in knockdown ginger (knocking on your neighbours’ door and then running away), and spent hours playing endless board games.
So yes, going old school and detoxing from social media doesn’t need to be hard.
There are thousands of activities to get stuck into.
And lucky for you, I’ve done all the work and made a super extensive list.
So without further waffle from me, here are 30 super fun activities to keep you busy while you unplug.
That’s one for every day of your detox!
And if you’re not quite ready to commit to a social media detox just yet, then you’re in luck as these mindful activities are perfect for your slow days too.
So make sure you bookmark this page so you can refer back to it whenever you need a little inspiration.
Activities for the mind
- Listen to a calming music playlist
- Play a game of chess
- Journal your thoughts, your mood and 3 things you are grateful for
- Go on a guided meditation walk
- Have a deep meaningful conversation with yourself
- Do breathwork
- Create a list of affirmations
- Write a letter to your future self
- Just sit and do nothing
Activities for the body
- Stretch your body
- Do a home workout or go on a run
- Go on a walk and breathe in the fresh air
- Join a yoga or pilates class
- Tackle some chores (housework is exercise right)
- Have a long hot bubble bath with a glass of wine
- Pamper yourself – nails, hair, skin, feet, face, the lot
- Take a guilt-free trip to McDonald’s (or to your fave restaurant)
- Put on some cheesy 90s music and have a dance party
- Take a nap
Activities for the soul
- Bake a cake or some gooey chocolate brownies
- Scrapbook your old pictures and reminisce
- Buy yourself some flowers and spend the afternoon arranging them
- Sing in the shower
- Declutter your home – always start with the wardrobe
- Colour code your bookshelf
- Do some water-colour painting or illustrations
- Create a bucket list – be adventurous with it
- Read a book you are actually interested in
- Laugh out loud for 2-3mins (5 is even better)
Save these mindful activities on Pinterest for later
Before I go…
Keep track of all the things you want to do during your detox by putting together an activity worksheet. Use this worksheet to write down everything you want to read, watch, do, etc and tick it off as you go.
Need help getting started?
Use the 30-Day Social Media Detox Planner which includes a pre-made activity worksheet.
This planner has everything you need to successfully stop the scroll and limit your screen time on social media in a way that works for you.
Use this planner to be more present, feel less overwhelmed, stop the comparison cycle and improve your overall mood.
The 12-page PDF includes:
- Space to plan a 30-day detox
- Screen-time tracker
- Activity worksheet
- Space to reflect
- Prompts and examples
- A guide to help you get started
Take back control of your digital well-being today.
Until next week,
♡ Thalia xx